Saturday, August 27, 2016

C&C 2 Author Interviews: Andrea Judy


Capes & Clockwork 2 Author Interview: Andrea Judy





As a way of celebrating the release of Capes & Clockwork: Superheroes in the Age of Steam, Volume 2, I’m interviewing some of the contributing authors.Today, we talk with Andrea Judy. 

1.          Tell us about yourself and how you got started writing.

I think like a lot of other writers, I started writing when I was very young. I told stories from the moment I could string together a sentence. There’s something so universal about storytelling and I latched onto that very early. I moved around a bit as a kid and had a turbulent home life so story telling was the constant in my life.


2.          What genres do you prefer writing and why?

I love reading and writing in a wide range of genres but my favorite genres are probably mysteries.  When I was a kid I watched so many true crime and cop shows that my parents would joke that I was either going to grow up to be a detective or a murderer. Instead, I became a writer so I could be both!


3.          What drew you to Capes & Clockwork?

I’ve loved superheroes for ages and having the opportunity to build a hero in the world of steam was too good an opportunity to pass by. I was thrilled for the chance to create a hero not shaped by the same world, who could have all kinds of amazing gadgets to help along the way.


4.          Give us a quick blurb about your story?

My story is called “Wishing Well” and it stars superhuman detective Rowan. In this case, Rowan has to figure out how someone could have been seen alive in the morning then be discovered as a badly decomposed corpse by dinner. 

5.          Tell us about your hero and what drives them to be a good guy or gal?

Rowan wants to do the best she can. She’s out to prove herself to the world. She’s got a bit of an ego that keeps her moving forward, but the core of Rowan is her heart. She cares deeply for the world around her and wants to make a positive change.


6.          Were there challenges for you in writing a cross-over genre (steampunk and superhero)?

The biggest challenge was thinking with steam. Coming up with all the things that could be run on steam and how they would work was a big challenge but it was a lot of fun. I got to sketch out what I thought the devices would look like and that was a blast.

7.          Who do you prefer writing? The heroes or the villains.

I’m going to say, heroes because everyone is a hero. Even the villain thinks they are the hero of their own story.  I actually love villains and coming up with a wickedly devious villain is one of my favorite things in the world! 


Check out Andrea’s story, Wishing Well in Capes & Clockwork, Vol. 2


And her story, Catching Steam in the original Capes & Clockwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment